Friday, November 2, 2012

Contemporary Crafts Market

Today I was in Santa Monica all day showing and selling my handwoven wearables at the Contemporary Crafts Market.  I really enjoy this show and have been doing it for about 10 years.  But doing any retail show is lots of work.  On Wednesday I spent a good part of the day packing up my things and loading the van.  Yesterday was mostly devoted to driving to Santa Monica and setting up the booth.  And today, Saturday and Sunday I'll be in the booth.  Sunday after the show, it's time to pack everything up and get it back in the van so I can unload it all and put it away in the studio on Monday.  

The good part is that it's a great time to see many people I know, both collectors and students, as well as friends and colleagues.  I love getting feedback on what I've been weaving and have the opportunity to discuss upcoming classes with students that stop by.  Another fun thing at this show is people watching.  Many attendees take the opportunity to wear the fabulous things they've purchased at past shows and it's amazing to see!  Here's an image of my booth, which is half the size of what I've had in years past.  Since I've been teaching more, I haven't been able to weave as many things to sell.


The show is in Santa Monica so I can come home in the evening, which is a treat.  

I got a wonderful email today from a student at Stitches East who told me she'd been without power since Monday (she lives in New York) and had spent the week weaving on  her rigid heddle loom.  She was so happy to have something to do that gave her pleasure during the difficult week and I was very happy she shared that with me.  I hope for everyone there that things get back to normal as soon as possible.

No comments: